How to apply for international driving license


Applying for an international driving license is the best way to drive in countries outside the European Union. Although for six months we can drive abroad as tourists with our national license, it is advisable to obtain this international permit in order to avoid any bureaucratic problem. The international driving license is valid for one year and can be used anywhere in the world – except in the country that issues it – under the auspices of the UN.

How to apply for international driving license

Steps to follow:

The first thing you have to do to apply for the international driving license is to fill out the form that the General Directorate of Traffic has for this case. You can get it at the Provincial Headquarters that corresponds to you or you can download it from the website of the General Directorate of Traffic, so you can fill it out at home before going out to do the procedure.

Once you are at the Provincial Traffic Headquarters, in order to apply for an international driving license, you will have to pay a fee of around 10 euros. You do not need to come in person to do the process. In the event that you send someone else to do it, you will have to write them a signed authorization. The person who represents you must present you with their own ID.

In any case, a photocopy of the valid national license of the person who wants to obtain the international driving license must be presented to the DGT. If you want to obtain it from a driving license issued in another country of the European Union other than Spain, you will have to register it previously.

These are other documents that must be presented to apply for the international driving permit:

  • DNI or original valid passport of the person who will be the holder of the card.
  • If it is a foreigner from another country of the European Union, you must present the residence authorization, the identity document of your country or passport, together with the certificate of registration in the central registry of foreigners.
  • All other foreigners must present their residence permit.
  • 32 x 26 mm color photograph with a plain background. The head must be uncovered and without dark glasses. Veiled photos are allowed, as long as the oval of the face is uncovered.

Once these procedures have been carried out, you will already have your international driving license to be able to drive a car in any country in the world, except Spain. Read this article if you want to know other ways to be able to drive abroad.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here