If you are new to the world of driving, there is something you are about to discover: heels and the car can often be incompatible. But you don’t have to be starting to drive to realize this, it’s enough to go out one day with some super high heels from home to notice that driving with them can be difficult, even bordering on danger. There are many who claim that it is very risky to drive in heels, but is it true? Is there a way to do it without risking our security?
Steps to follow:
Although different investigations show that driving with heels can interfere with the safety of the activity, and despite the fact that many women simply do not feel comfortable behind the wheel with this type of shoe, others defend tooth and nail the use of this type of model to drive. In Spain there is no law that prohibits it; however, it is important to be clear about the risks to know why this is considered to be a dangerous practice.
Driving in heels is risky because:
- The heels can catch on the car mats, causing our foot to get stuck, which can cause an accident.
- Most models of this type provide great rigidity to the foot which makes our movements much slower and less agile. This, in short, is not convenient for safe driving.
- The sole of this type of shoe is not usually conducive to driving because it is not anti-slip and, in most cases, it does not adhere well to the pedals.
- Very thin heels reduce foot stability, which can compromise safety when driving.
- This type of shoe, due to its anatomy and rigidity, can produce tension and muscle loads while driving, which, in addition to causing us pain, can affect our health and our efficiency behind the wheel.
Nobody says that we can’t wear heels whenever we want, but comfortable shoes are recommended when driving, so carrying a spare in the car is an excellent idea when we want to go out with this model but without risking safety behind the wheel.
If, despite all the recommendations, you decide to continue wearing this model of shoes when you drive, then it will be important to take into account some recommendations for driving with heels to help you stay safe. Choosing the right shoes is important to reduce the danger of this activity, so we advise you:
- Opt for heels that are not too high, because the higher they are, the stiffer our foot will be when driving. Wedge shoes or platforms could be a good solution to ensure greater driving efficiency.
- Avoid very thin or stiletto heels, because the thinner the less stable your foot will be on the pedals. Better choose thick heels, which will provide greater stability.
- Highly pointed heels are also not recommended, as this will make driving very difficult.
- It is important that you pay attention to the sole of your heels and the grip they provide. If the shoes have a very slippery sole, for safety it is better not to use them.
- If the mats of your car are old and battered, it is advisable not to drive directly with heels. The possibility of the heel getting caught on this piece is very high, and could cause a serious accident.
- If you do not feel comfortable walking with that model of shoes, it is important that you do not drive with them either, because you could cause an accident or have an unpleasant scare.
You already know the risks of driving in high heels and which models to choose to do it more safely, but are these the ideal solutions? No, really the ideal solution is to have a model of footwear in the car that is comfortable and suitable for driving and that you can use when you feel like wearing a pair of heels but do not want to risk driving with them.
In this case, it would be advisable to have a closed shoe that has an anti-slip sole or that adheres well to the pedals, that is flexible to allow movement and that holds your feet perfectly, in this way you do not run the risk that come off jamming with the pedal. As girls, we usually have one or another item of clothing in the car just in case, so having extra shoes that are comfortable and suitable for driving does not represent a great effort, especially when it comes to your safety.
Now that you know everything about driving in heels, you may be interested in knowing some tips to drive safely, so we invite you to read our article how to drive safely with keys that will help you drive effectively and safely.