The exchange of driving licenses is a strictly necessary procedure for those foreigners who do not belong to the European Union and who reside in Spain for more than 6 months. However, it is also a procedure that can be requested by citizens belonging to a country of the European Union and who wish to obtain the equivalent permit to drive on Spanish roads.
Where to go to exchange your driving license
If we want to exchange the driver’s license, we must first go to the Provincial Traffic Headquarters closest to us and, at the appropriate information desk, request the necessary form to carry out this procedure.
The person who attends us there will provide us with a telephone number that we must call to request an appointment. It is advisable to try to call very early in the morning, as the line is usually quite busy.
Appointment system to redeem the driving license
Other options to request an appointment to exchange the driving license is to do it through the DGT website. This is a service that is only enabled for residents in Spain from countries such as Algeria, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador, El Salvador, the Philippines, Guatemala, Macedonia, Morocco, Paraguay, Peru, the Dominican Republic, Serbia, Ukraine, Uruguay and Venezuela.
To carry out this procedure online, we will only need to indicate the NIF or NIE and those data that are requested based on our country of origin.
Documentation to present to redeem the driving license
Once we have obtained the prior appointment to exchange the driving license, we must take into account the following documentation, which must be presented at the corresponding Traffic Headquarters.
- Application in official form issued by the Provincial Traffic Headquarters.
- Original and photocopy of the valid DNI, passport or NIE, proving your residence or student status in Spain.
- Psychophysical aptitude report, previously carried out in a Medical Center authorized to carry out the recognition of drivers. This report will be issued directly by the appropriate center to the Provincial Traffic Headquarters.
- Two current photographs of the applicant, must be passport size and on a white background.
- Original driving license and 2 photocopies.
- Payment of the corresponding fee.
- Written declaration that you do not have a card or license of the same category as the one requested in Spain.
- Written statement that the permit is fully valid, current and authentic.