What is the consumption of hybrid cars?


Hybrid vehicles combine a combustion engine and an electric one, the latter being the one that makes the difference in the city, since that is where it starts and brakes continuously and drives at a low speed. In addition, hybrids have a greater autonomy compared to electric cars and consume less than conventional combustion. If you want to know what is the consumption of hybrid cars and what are the models that spend less

What is the consumption of hybrid cars

Comparison between hybrid and gasoline

According to a study carried out over three years by EDF, Toyota and the city of Strasbourg, a hybrid-powered car consumes on average 46% less than a conventional petrol car of the same size when refueled 1.1 times a day.

On the other hand, the same program has also reached the conclusion that if the frequency of recharging the plug-in hybrid car is 1.6 times a day, this reduction in consumption reaches 70%, which represents a savings of 1,400 euros per year in fuel.

Regarding this point, if, for example, one of the users recharges 1.6 times each day driving in hybrid mode for 40% of the time and in electric mode for the remaining 60%, he can get to obtain a reduction in fuel consumption of almost 70% compared to a gasoline car of the same size. This fact would represent a saving of 1,400 euros each year if the vehicle traveled around 20,000 km per year, or what is the same: 7.1 euros per 100 km.

Types of hybrids

On the other hand, the combination of the electric motor with a gasoline one benefits the reduction not only of fuel consumption, but also of emissions. And it must be taken into account that it is in the cities where the greatest fuel consumption occurs, and thanks to the storage of electricity that takes place during braking as well as deceleration, a vehicle of this class can operate in mode electric in low-speed situations (less than 60km/h) in order to save much more, even if they do not have much autonomy in that mode.

But there are other types of hybrid cars that are a combination of electric and diesel motors, which seek considerable savings from a hybrid in the city and from a diesel on the highway, and finally there are plug-in hybrids that can be recharged by the mains power and have more range than previous classes in electric mode. However, this model has a very high price today, but it is the future of hybrid cars.

Consumption of the best hybrid car models

The Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid is considered the best hybrid car today, with an output of 136 hp that is reduced to 102 in electric mode. Regarding its consumption of gasoline is 2.1 liters per 100 km, and with the battery fully discharged its consumption increases to 3.7 liters per 100 km.

Likewise, the Mercedes C 350 Plug-in Hybrid combines the 211 hp gasoline engine with an electric motor that has 60 kW, adding a total power of 279 hp. As for its consumption, every 100 km it spends 2.1 liters and has a range of 31 km in its electric mode.

Finally, among the best hybrid cars on the market is also the Audi A6 Hybrid, a vehicle that combines a gasoline engine with an electric one, adding 245 CV of power, and that in its electric mode reaches 100 km per hour and in addition, it can travel at 60 km/h up to 3 km without resorting to gasoline.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here